Big hair is EVERYTHING here in the south. It is what we are taught from birth from our momma and their momma and so on. Over the years we have perfected the art of bombshell volume even on the finest and flattest of hair. Follow these tips to get you hair as high as heaven. 🙂
- Prep your hair with products as soon as you get out of the shower. Start by spraying a root boost throughout the crown of your head right at your scalp to add major volume. My current fave is Guts 10 by Redken. Follow up your root boost with a blowdry spray, I use Pillow Proof Blowdry Express Primer by Redken. This will cut your dry time in half, give you great heat protection, and provide a long lasting base for your style.
- The art of the blowout. The most common mistake I see people make is immediately trying to use a round brush when their hair is soaking wet. Just stop it right now! You are over working yourself. The key is to use your fingers to dry your hair to at least 80% dry. Once you have achieved that level then work your round brush in sections starting from the bottom to the top of your hair.
- Add some Curl. You can achieve big hair after it has been flat ironed but it is more work and more times then not it is not made to last. Try using a larger barrel curling iron to create curls that are on base. On base means the curl sits directly on the section of your hair, this creates the most volume, without being ringlets.
- The Big Tease. Don’t be afraid to go for it! A great tease brush works wonders and creates a base for your style. I also like to add texture with Redken Quick Tease 15. Simply use scooping motions at your base to create endless volume. Follow up lightly with the same brush or tease comb to mold and smooth your style to perfection.
- Spray don’t Play. Hairspray is an absolute must! It is essential for big hair to be held for long lasting results. Spray absolutely everything in place! My faves are Kenra Volume 25 hairspray and Redken Control Addict 28.
Watch this Video for a full step by step guide !